Wednesday, September 5, 2007

You Can't Make Stuff Like This Up

I'm learning about how our brains work right now; specifically why someone with an amputated hand feels as if their hand is being touched when their face or arm is stroked. It's because the sensory fibers for the hand is located between the sensory fibers for the face and the arm. When the part of the brain used to sense the hand isn't used for a period of time then the adjacent regions take over and begin to use that space.

This leads to the last example which is just too good to have been made up.

Note, too, that the toes region is adjacent to the genitals. So what do you suppose was the sexual intercourse experience of another patient whose lower leg had been amputated? "I actually experience my orgasm in my foot. And there it's much bigger than it used to be because it's no longer just confined to my genitals".

Our brains are CRAZY!

No comments: