Thursday, July 26, 2007

No Turning Back Now

I put my two weeks in yesterday, and my last day is August 7th, 2007. That means I have 8 more work days, and 12 more days total before I become unemployed and start preparing to go back to school. Crazy!

The hardest part is that no one at work other than my boss, Julie, and a few trusted friends even know about it. My second manager, Susan, had her 50th birthday party today and Julie and I decided it would be best to wait until Friday before the rest of the group is informed.

What's really frustrating is that I don't know for sure that Auto-Owners will keep me until August 7th. They are free to let me go at any time, so every day I go into work could be my last. I don't want to miss the chance to say goodbye to anyone so I checked my groups schedule today to see who would be on vacation on Friday. I held a meeting at the end of the day today to let Jacqueline, Danell, and Gary know what was going on in case I am let go before Monday. None of them wanted to come to the meeting because I wouldn't tell them what it was about, but eventually I was able to get them to cooperate.

It turns out that Gary is leaving for two weeks of Military leave starting tomorrow, so our meeting this afternoon was my final goodbye to him. Gary and I were never all that close, but he's the first person that I've said my final goodbye to and it hit me pretty hard. I went from being excited about leaving to being sad about leaving everything behind.

I'm more than willing to go back to school because I know that's what God is calling me to, but it's not easy.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I wish you well. Me and my wife have changed about everything in our lives over the last two month. I took a buy out from my work and we moved 2000 miles away from both of our friends and our families. It is a very tough and stressful thing to do. You will know soon enough if you made the right choice. Good luck to you!