Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Letter To Theresa

To continue my series of letters that I'm writing to people who've had an impact on my life:

Theresa,

As you know, i am heading back to school this fall so I won't be around town anymore. I wanted to say a few things to you before I leave, and I thought a letter would be the best way since we haven't really spoken lately.

I want to thank you for being a good friend to me, especially right after Jennifer and I broke up. I will never forget how you were there for me on my birthday, and your call at midnight made my day. You really helped me get back on my feet and feel loved when I needed it the most. Thank you, I won't forget that. I also want you to know that I'm glad that we tried dating and that I have no regrets about our time spent together, except that I ended up hurting you.

Right before we decided to just be friends I had taken a trip down to visit David at school, and I went to his Philosophy of Love class. I took a lot of notes that I had wanted to share with you, but I obviously won't have that chance now. There is one thing from the class that I feel like I should share with you though.

We were discussing about how when two people love each other and share their lives with each other on any level that they actually enter into each other's hearts. Love is in essence a union, whether it's the love between friends, a married couple, or the love between God and yourself. To love and be loved, we must open ourselves up and let others in.

This union that love creates is the only way to heal our hearts when we have been hurt. We HAVE to allow another into our hearts to share in our sufferings to heal from them. We cannot be healed if we keep ourselves isolated.

I have no idea what is going through your mind or heart these days, but when we talked last I know there was a lot of deep rooted pain from the past. I know that you aren't very comfortable talking to anyone about it and that's okay. I remember you telling me that Fr. Steve had been encouraging you to pray about whatever it was that has been hurting you, but that you never really did.

If you haven't started bringing your pain to the Lord then I really want to encourage you to do so. By opening that part of your heart to Him and allowing Him to enter, you will be able to unite your suffering with Christ's suffering and over time you can heal from the past.

You have a beautiful heart and more potential than you know. Don't let hurts and pains hold you back from everything that God wants from you. Suffering joyfully is a worthy thing to do, but holding onto pains from the past is not necessary. God will find plenty of other things for you to offer up if that's His will for you.

God bless you, and know that you'll be in my prayers. You were a good friend to me, and although we haven't talked much lately I will miss having you around.

Your brother in Christ,
Jonathan

No comments: