Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Jonathan 1, First Day Of School 0

My first day of class is over; I survived AND had a great day. It's midnight now, I have a bunch of reading to do still, and I have an 8:00AM class tomorrow so I'll keep this short.

I headed out of my apartment this morning around 10:45. I had a letter from Maria and a wedding invitation in my mailbox, both of which I plucked out and put in my backpack to read once I made it to school. I made my way to my Psychology 101 class and found a seat in the back. I've always been a 'sit in the back' sort of person and the fact that the class was full of freshman didn't exactly encourage me to move closer to the front.

It worked out really well because a girl named Sara sat next to me and it turns out that she remembered me from orientation. We hadn't actually met, but she had helped me find a parking spot way back on Thursday afternoon. She's a senior this year, so at least she was a few years closer to my age than all of the 18 year olds.

My professor walked in and I could tell immediately that she'll be really awesome. Her name is Dr. Joanne Storm and I actually stayed at her house when I was visiting Steubenville this summer. She's young and full of energy; I could enjoy having her for an 8AM class because she'd help me wake up and make me excited to be there.

Heidi had called me during class so I gave her a call as soon as I was outside. Her and Jon had met last night to talk and she was feeling the way I expected her to feel today. We talked until her lunch was over and then I decided to walk around campus for a bit to kill the 30 minutes I had left until class started. I ran into Ricardo, then I talked real quickly with Amanda, and eventually I saw Sarah walking to class so I ran over and walked with her.

My second class of the day was Foundations of Catholicism, which I think will be pretty interesting. My friend Aaron was in the class so I knew another person right off the bat. Our teacher gave us a 5 minute break in the middle of class and I broke out my granola bar to eat since I hadn't yet had lunch. Aaron didn't have a lunch either, so I gave him my 2nd granola bar. I was out of food for the rest of the day at that point, but at least he was able to eat some lunch.

After class I headed to the JC Williams center to study and I found my friend Devon at a table. I sat and talked to her for a few minutes and then began studying. Sarah and her friend Maria, who I met over the summer, stopped by later to give me a hard time about studying on the first day of class. Devon ended up coming back and both Mario and Tim found us later. Mario and Tim are awesome, but it was impossible to get any studying done with them around.

I headed off to Confession and then to Mass before heading home to get some food, rest a bit, play a little XBox, and do some homework. I was home for about 2 1/2 hours which was perfect. I hopped back in my car and gave Jon a call to see how last night went for him while I was driving back to campus.

We had our GNT social tonight where we could sign up for sports and other activities as well as drink some beer, wine, and eat some food. I ended up being there for almost 2 hours and I was talking with people the entire time. I met a few new people, saw some familiar faces from home, and talked a lot with my friends that I had already made over the last week. I can't believe how many people I've already met since I came into town 6 days ago. I feel very at home being here. At least I felt that way until Kathleen called me 'Josh' 3 times in one sentence. She's the person I've talked to the most and the one who has made me feel most welcome, yet she can't get my name right. I know she knows my name and that she likes having me around but she has a problem with calling me Josh. I'm working on trying to help her with this problem but I think there is a long road ahead of us still :-)

Kathleen mentioned that she wanted to go to adoration after the social, but the only Adoration available right now is off campus and it's not safe for a woman to go alone at night. I offered to go if she couldn't find anyone else, and that ended up being the case. I figured she could show me where it was at and I could keep her safe. A pretty good deal if I say so myself!

We didn't stay too long and I headed back home afterwards. Right as I was pulling into my apartment I received a text message from Maria telling me she hoped my first day went well. It's great to know people back home are still thinking about me and praying for me.

I'm an incredibly lucky man.

No comments: