Monday, August 27, 2007

Absents Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

8-24-2007

Maria called me tonight.

"I’m still getting used to things."

"What sort of things are you talking about?"

"You being gone."

Maybe those words shouldn’t have shocked me, but they surprised me because I never expected to hear them from Maria. Over the last two days her and I have both thinking the same thing, "the other person has already forgotten about me."
Our conversation was short tonight, but it was good because we both realized that we haven’t forgotten each other. She called to tell me that she was rereading the letter I wrote to her and that she wanted to thank me for it because it really meant a lot to her. That alone showed me that she hadn’t forgotten about me, and the words she spoke, which I wrote above, reinforced that.

I was thanking her for calling and telling her that I was worried about not having a chance to call her last night because of how busy my schedule was. I sent her a text message the night I arrived in Steubenville and let her know I’d call on Thursday. When Thursday actually came around I found out how busy I was and I knew that she’d think that I forgot about her if I didn’t call. It wasn’t until 11:30PM that I was able to give her a call, and she admitted tonight that for a while she thought I might have forgotten about her. I assured her that it wasn’t the case and I let her know that she is the only person from Michigan that I’ve talked to since I’ve been down here. I also let her know that I’ve been thinking about her and praying for her ever since I saw her last. She was really glad to hear that and it was very reassuring for both of us to know that the other person hasn’t forgotten what our friendship means.

Not yet, anyway.

No comments: